Rules and Regulations
A marriage license can be obtained by contacting the County Register of Deeds:
Buncombe County Register of Deeds:
- Buncombe County Courthouse
60 Court Plaza, Room 110
Asheville, NC 28801
- Hours of Operation: 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Buncombe County Register of Deeds website
Marriage License Requirements:
- No physical or blood test is required.
- There is no waiting period.
- The license expires after 60 days.
- There is a $50 fee for the application.
- A certified Certificate of Marriage can be obtained from the Register of Deeds for $10.
- The marriage may occur in any county in the state.
- The ceremony must be performed by a Magistrate in the Court System or by an ordained minister; the minister does not have to be local.
The bride and groom will need to provide the following information:
- Parents’ names and current address.
- State of parents’ births.
- If previously married, the date that the last marriage ended.
The bride and groom will also be required to show identification depending on age:
- Under age 18: The signature of a parent with legal guardianship
- Age 18 to 21: A certified birth certificate, Social Security card and driver's license
- Over age 21: A valid driver’s license and Social Security card