Rules and Regulations
A marriage license can be obtained by contacting the County Register of Deeds:
Buncombe County Register of Deeds:
- Buncombe County Courthouse
205 College Street
Asheville, NC 28801
- Hours of Operation: 8:00 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Buncombe County Register of Deeds website
Marriage License Requirements:
- No physical or blood test is required.
- There is no waiting period.
- The license expires after 60 days.
- There is a $60 fee for the application.
- A certified Certificate of Marriage can be obtained from the Register of Deeds for $10.
- The marriage may occur in any county in the state.
- The ceremony must be performed by a Magistrate in the Court System or by an ordained minister; the minister does not have to be local.
The bride and groom will need to provide the following information:
- Parents’ names and current address.
- State of parents’ births.
- If previously married, the date that the last marriage ended.
The bride and groom will also be required to show identification depending on age:
- Over age 21: A valid photo ID and Social Security card
- Under age 18: A valid photo ID, Social Security card, and certified birth certificate, as well as the photo ID and signature of a parent with legal guardianship.