Flood Damage Assistance

August 19, 2021

On Aug. 17, the WNC area was greatly impacted from Tropical Storm Fred. Below are some resources for those impacted by the storm and ways you can support.

General Resources:

  • NC 2-1-1 Asheville Call Center serves all of Western North Carolina connecting you to resources. When you dial 2-1-1 from your telephone, NC 2-1-1 is available to help 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and 365 days a year.
  • Restoration Services

City of Asheville: 

For updated information regarding current City functions and street closures, as well as recovery resources for individuals, visit Asheville City Source on the City of Asheville website.

To report damage to roads and sidewalks, visit the Asheville App

For City of Asheville sidewalk repairs or maintained streets, call (828) 259-5852. Residents can upload service requests to the Asheville App, a free app compatible with Android and Apple devices. Or click the “report issues” icon on the City of Asheville website.

For damage to state maintained roads, call 298-0390 or call 511.
Stay up to date with City of Asheville emergency and non-emergency notifications by signing up with AVL Alert

Buncombe County:

An Emergency Services Call Center is now available at (828) 844-5455. The number will be answered Monday through Friday from 8 a.m.-5 p.m., with an afterhours voicemail option. The team will collect information and connect residents to resources if possible, including State Emergency Management or FEMA should they make a declaration for Buncombe County.

If you were impacted by the floods, please see the following contacts below with assistance available:

  • For stream damage, contact Buncombe County Soil and Water Conservation District at 828-250-4785.
  • For crop loss please, contact the Farm Service Agency at (828) 649-9099, ext. 2.
  • For building/structural damage in Buncombe County, please call the Buncombe County Permits & Inspections Department at (828) 250-5360. Structural damage should also be reported to an individual’s insurance company as soon as possible.
  • For a flood assessment to a building or structure, contact the Buncombe County Floodplain Administrator at (828) 250-4830 or email contact information to planninginfo@buncombecounty.org.
  • For damage to state maintained roads, call  (828) 298-0390 or call 511.
  • Call 211.
  • Find a Community Market.

Visit Buncombe County’s post on Flood Damage for updated information about resources to call.

To stay up to date on emergency notifications and other important county information, sign up for BC Alerts by texting BCAlert (not case sensitive) to 99411 or visit buncombecounty.org/codered to sign up for the new system. Along with emergency and critical messages, the CodeRED notification system will also enhance community engagement via the release of important but non-emergency information such as vaccine site notifications, inclement weather closures and schedule changes, and other county service information.

Haywood County including Canton and Clyde:

  • United Way of Haywood County will be working with Haywood County government and other agencies to meet needs. A recovery fund has been established from which 100% of all contributions will be used for families who have experienced loss.
    If you would like to make a financial contribution, please make checks payable to United Way Flood Recovery or make a donation online. A Recovery Committee is being established to make decisions about how to best and most efficiently meet the community’s needs.
    Checks can be mailed to:
    United Way, 81 Elmwood Way, Suite 140, Waynesville, NC 28786
    Please call 828-356-2832 with questions.
  • Mountain Projects: The Emergency Housing Fund is dedicated to re-homing victims of the recent flood along the Pigeon River and its tributaries. Mountain Projects is providing emergency vouchers to assist with the cost of rentals. If you’ve been displaced by flooding and need a place to live, if you wish to donate to help this re-housing effort, or if you have a home to rent to displaced flood victims please visit: https://mountainprojects.org/flood-relief-information/
  • For assistance or to information on donations: call helpline at 828-356-2022.
  • The Mountaineer is maintaining a long list of organizations and groups that are lending support. Check this article about how to donate and get involved in supporting the Haywood community.

Flooding and Public Health

Be aware of the dangerous health impacts of flooding. Proper assessment of wells and septic systems as well as cleaning and moisture removal remain key to eliminating threats to the public’s health. Please reference What to Do After the Flood by the EPA to learn more about considerations for well and pump safety after a flood event.

Power outages can also create food safety issues for homes and businesses. When the refrigerator goes out and you are concerned about food safety, please reference the Environmental Health Preparedness Manual to learn more about food safety before, during, and after a weather event.