On Friday, October 25th at 12noon, members of 12 local Episcopal churches along with Habitat staff and volunteers and the future homeowner, Tracey Corn and his son, will raise the first wall of Episcopal Build X. The public and media are invited to attend. The coalition of local Episcopal churches fully sponsors an Asheville Area Habitat for Humanity house every-other year to allow time to fundraise for a full sponsorship. Congregation members also help build the house.
A full house sponsorship level with Asheville Area Habitat is $55,000. In 2011, the Episcopal coalition raised well over that, donating more than $65,000 for Episcopal House IX, with a generous grant from the Human Hurt and Hope Fund. The participating churches hope to be awarded a grant from the Fund again this year.
Participating members are:
Calvary Episcopal Church
The Cathedral of All Souls
Church of the Advocate
Deerfield Episcopal Retirement Center
Episcopal Diocese of WNC
Grace Episcopal Church
St. George’s Episcopal Church
St. James Episcopal Church
St. John’s Episcopal Church
St. Luke’s Episcopal Church
St. Matthias Episcopal Church
Trinity Episcopal Church
Directions to Swannanoa Build Site:
1) Coming from the West, get on I-40 East.
2) Take Exit 59/Swannanoa.
3) Take a left at the end of the exit ramp onto Patton Cove Road.
4) Go to the stoplight. Take a right on US-70.
5) At the first stoplight, take a right on Whitson Avenue. You will pass by Native Kitchen on your right. Continue until the road T’s at a stop sign.
6) Take a left at the stop sign onto Railroad Street.
7) Take an immediate right onto Dennis Street, crossing over the train tracks. Continue down Dennis Street: You will drive under the highway.
Keep driving on Dennis Street until you see the Habitat construction site on your right.
8) Park in the cul-de-sac on your right: Look for parking signs. Please do not park on Dennis Street.